Enhanced electronic filing services for patents
On the 31 March, UK-IPO will be significantly enhancing its patent electronic filing services under the EPO online services and web filing routes.
Customers will now be able to file electronically letters, amended or replacement pages of patent specifications, abstracts, claims, translations of priority documents, sequence listings and other search reports. They will also be able to e-file a wider range of statutory forms (AF1, F7, F9A, F10 and F52) following the filing of their patent applications.
These major enhancements to the patents electronic filing services will provide customers with much greater flexibility than the existing services which generally require customers to file the statutory forms and associated documents at the time of making their patent application.
This release also marks the end of a key Programme of work which over the last two years has introduced both electronic case working to the Patents Directorate and a variety of electronic services for customers. These include the ability to file a patent application via the UK-IPO website, and requesting and receiving uncertified office copies of GB patent case files electronically.
In welcoming the enhanced services, Minister for Intellectual Property Baroness Delyth Morgan said:
"These new services increase greatly the extent to which patent applicants can do business with the UK Intellectual Property Office electronically. They will now have the opportunity to conduct most of the application process electronically, and enjoy the convenience that will offer."
Sean Dennehey, Assistant Comptroller and Patents Director of the UK Intellectual Property Office, added:
"The introduction of these enhanced electronic filing services for our customers concludes a successful two-year change programme. In that time, we have introduced electronic case working to the Patents Directorate and a number of new customer services. Those have included web-based patent filing and a service allowing customers to request and receive copies of case files electronically. The latest additions are a major step forward in the provision of electronic customer services as they enable documents to be filed electronically throughout the patent application process."
- More detailed information about our web filing services is available
- EPO online services is a European Patent Office (EPO) package of on-line services that allows you to create and apply online for patents at the UK-Intellectual Property Office (UK-IPO), other national offices, the European Patent Office (EPO) and World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO - PCT). It uses smart cards to ensure security.
- To use our EPO online services services you first need to join the service.
- If you have already enroled for the UK EPO online services services then the latest software can be downloaded.
- For enquiries about the UK Intellectual Property Office press or media activities please contact the Communications Team on 01633 814041.
Date of release:31 March 2008