This manual provides detailed guidance practice and procedures we follow in formalities examination of patent applications under the Patents Act 1977 and associated rules. It covers United Kingdom patent applications and the national phase of Patent Co-operation Treaty applications.
Please be aware that as part of the transition of our website to GOV.UK the Manual is currently only available as a single PDF. Bookmarks are provided to help you navigate the manual and the contents pages contain direct links to the relevant sections. We thank you for your patience during this transition period and apologise for any inconvenience caused. We look forward to providing our manuals in an improved format in due course.
September 2011 edition of the formalities manual is stilll available on the links below.
- Contents (14Kb)
- Introduction (15Kb)
- Chapter 1: Patents and Formalities (187Kb)
- Chapter 2: Request for Grant of a Patent (183Kb)
- Chapter 3: The Inventor (57Kb)
- Chapter 4: Description, Claims & Abstract (168Kb)
- Chapter 5: The Drawings (99Kb)
- Chapter 6: Declaration of Priority (165Kb)
- Chapter 7: Examination & Reports (72Kb)
- Chapter 8: Early Publication (130Kb)
- Chapter 9: Post Publication Formalities Examination (58Kb)
- Chapter 10: Extension of Time Limits (240Kb)
- Chapter 11: Case Management (166Kb)
- Chapter 12: Miscellaneous (142Kb)
- Chapter 13: PCT Applications (320Kb)
- Chapter 14: Divisional Applications (56Kb)
- Chapter 15: Private Applicants (201Kb)
- Chapter 16: Certified Office Copies (182Kb)
- Glossary (40Kb)
- Index (54Kb)