EPO online services
EPO online services is a European Patent Office (EPO) package of software that uses smart cards to ensure security. It provides on-line services that allow you to create and apply electronically for patents at the Intellectual Property Office. It also allows you to create and send electronically other Intellectual Property Office patents forms. The EPO online services software also allows you to create and apply electronically for patents at other national offices, including the EPO and World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO - PCT).
The service offers:
- easy-to-use software for building your applications and forms
- validation to help you get applications and forms right first time
- confidence that we will receive what you send
- less worries about security, postal delivery delays and filing date hassles
- immediate filing receipts when you electronically file forms and/or documents
- savings from less paper handling, no postage costs and reduced fees for European and PCT applications
- secure access to other online services from EPO online services at the EPO
Join EPO online services
To join you must complete the following three processes:
- first get your smart card from the EPO
enrol to file at the Intellectual Property Office you
must hold a customer account with
This can either be a deposit or cash
account but if you do not have an account, you can open one by telephoning us on +44
or you could:
Send us a deposit or cash account request
- Insert your smart card in the reader and fill in the on-line Intellectual Property Office auto enrolment tool .
What happens next?
The EPO will check your smart card application and, if it is accepted, you will be sent a software start up pack, a smart card and reader. You will receive the PIN number for your smart card separately.
Once you have registered with the EPO and enrolled with the Intellectual Property Office you will be able to file to our server.
Need to update your UK software?
Have you received a replacement/renewal smart card from the EPO?
Before you can use your new card, you will need to use the online Intellectual Property Office auto enrolment tool to enable you to file again to the Intellectual Property Office.
Can you get help?
If you have problems setting up or using the software, or you have any concerns about EPO online services, please contact us by telephone on +44 (0)1633 813500, fax on +44 (0)1633 814514 or:
Further information about EPO online services is available from the EPO.
Notifying us of changes after you've joined
If you have a change of circumstance (i.e. change of name, address or e-mail) after registering to use your EPO online services smart card to file patents at the Intellectual Property Office, please use the auto enrolment tool to update your details.