Phase 2 enhancements to Trade Mark Services
Changes to trade mark services from 2 April 2013:
- Improved online trade mark application
- New examination response form
- New online trade mark renewal
- New trade mark eAlerts (replaces Ecaveats service)
- New style integrated Trade Marks Journal
- Phase 2 forms and introduction of new logo
- Improved page layout for selecting paper forms
Withdrawal of 'Refused Search'
This service will no longer be available, although full status details including trade mark 'refused' will be displayed in the case details of any trade mark searched.
Improved online trade mark application
- New data field to capture the company or Limited Liability Partnership (LLP) registered number. This is in response to user requests for clearer identification of companies
- Enhanced name and address capture functions including email address to retrieve existing details and an improved post code look up facility
- Improved display and error messaging throughout the form
- Images are now automatically converted to an acceptable format within the application process. The option to ‘download the converted image for your record’ remains.
- A new goods and services classification search tool containing pre-approved terms is located within the application process. Search results are displayed as ‘exact matches’, terms ‘starting with’ and all ‘other matches’ You can also filter ‘other matches’ for results beginning with a specific letter using the A-Z buttons
- A new summary screen showing details of your trade mark application is displayed prior to payment. You can still make changes at this point by using the ‘Previous’ button to navigate to the screen requiring any amendments.
Note: Once submitted this is what we will examine and you cannot make changes. Your application fee is non-refundable.
Once payment has cleared, you will receive an automatic email with a filing receipt attached which includes a certificate of filing (which may be used for priority claims).
New examination response form
The examination report contains a link ‘Please click here to reply’, this allows you to access a new web form and respond to the report.
All outgoing e-correspondence will automatically generate and include links to the new e-correspondence web form. Click on the link and you can complete and submit your reply, which is similar to sending an email.
For further details view the step by step guide to eCorrespondence (321Kb).
New online trade mark renewal
This new service offers a fast, efficient online renewal and payment facility.
- Simply enter the number of the trade mark you want to renew
- Check that the details displayed relate to the correct trade mark. You can also select 'View trade mark' to be certain
- Choose to remove any classes that you do not want to renew
- Confirm who is making the renewal, enter an email address and then view a summary of the renewal
Once you submit the renewal you will receive an email receipt acknowledgement. The Certificate of Renewal and a payment receipt will also be emailed as a PDF once payment has cleared.
Note: If payment is made by account, the payment receipt is sent to the email address currently linked to this account.
For further details view the step by step guide to renewing your trade mark (239Kb).
New trade mark eAlerts service
The Ecaveats service will no longer be available, but you can monitor the progress of a UK trade mark or an International Registration designating the UK using the new service, eAlerts.
eAlerts is a FREE service that allows you to receive email notifications about specific events relating to a trade mark.
Existing ECaveat customers can migrate to the eAlerts service by following the instructions in an activation email. This will be sent on Tuesday 2nd April and will expire after 7 days.
New users will be required to register for the service. Following registration and activation of your log in, you can then proceed to add alerts to your account. Enter the trade mark number and select the events you wish to be notified of.
If you are an existing eCaveat customer and you do not register for the new service you will continue to receive alerts as per the current service criteria.
For further details view the step by step guide to eAlerts (372Kb).
New style integrated Trade Marks Journal
Please note the content of the new style journal:
|Table detailing changes to the Trade Marks Journal. The first column contains information regarding the online journal and the second column the printed journal|
|Online Journal||Printed Journal|
|An integrated list of all UK trade mark applications and International Registrations (IR) designating the UK accepted in the previous week||All UK trade mark applications and International Registrations (IR) designating the UK accepted in the previous week, (listed under separate headings).
A new ‘Other Publications' section will include:
- UK applications amended or corrected after publication, cancelled publications and restrictions to goods/services.
- International Registrations: UK protection conferred date.
The printed journal will no longer contain the following:
- Changes to the register (except limitations or errors for UK trade marks)
- Registrable transactions: Assignments etc, licensees, licences with and without limit of period, cancellation and security interests noted on the Register.
Phase 2 forms and introduction of new logo
The final set of revised trade mark forms are to come into force. In addition the first phase forms are to be reissued with the new logo.
This is part of a wider move to develop a consistent and cost-effective approach to branding across UK government departments and agencies.
Improved page layout for selecting paper forms
The layout of the trade mark forms page has been revised. Forms are now displayed according to ‘category’ e.g. forms used to make 'changes' to the trade mark register are now grouped together.
Questions and answers
Trade mark application
- Why do I need to supply
my company number?
This information is optional but we encourage you to supply the number so that companies can be easily identified, especially in the event of a name change.
option for entering goods and services do I use - 'select from the approved list' or 'enter your own
We strongly recommend that customers with limited classification knowledge select the terms using the ‘approved list’.
happens when I enter a search word when using
the 'the approved list' option?
Results are returned in the following order:
1. Exact matches
2. Starting with
3. Other matches
happens after I’ve submitted the application?
You will receive an automatic email acknowledgement that we have received your application. The application is then examined and an examination report is sent within approximately 20 days of receipt of the application.
Response to examination
I make changes to my application?
The examination report may recommend certain changes that can be made in order to proceed with publication of your application. You can agree to these by using the ‘link’ in the examination report 'Please click here to reply'.
I send a separate email to the examiner without accessing the link in the report?
No, we can only deal with case correspondence that has entered the workflow and processing system, using the links to e-correspondence in the Examination Report.
- Will the information I submitted using the link
appear in my
mailbox 'sent items'?
No, we will send you an e-mail receipt.
do I get a copy of the information I have submitted using the e-correspondence link?
The email receipt will have a PDF attachment of the information you submitted.
Right Start examination
- How do I pay the balance
on a Right Start application?
You can do this using the online payment facility. You need to access the link in the Examination Report ‘Please click here to reply’ and select the option to pay the outstanding balance.
attach any supporting documents?
Yes, you can upload most file types.
file types are acceptable?
PDF, DOC, DOCX, RTF, JPG, GIF, TIFF, JFIF or PNG.
do I get a copy of the information I have submitted using the e-correspondence link?
The email receipt will have a PDF attachment of the information you submitted
do I access the link if I've deleted the original email?
Contact us and we will send you a copy of our original correspondence containing the link.
do I register for eAlerts?
New users of the service can access the link ‘Monitor trade marks with eAlerts’ from the Online TM services web page on the IPO website, then select ‘Register here’.
- What information do I need to provide to register?
You’ll need to provide an email address and password. To activate the account follow the instructions in the activation email. This is sent a few minutes following registration.
do I add an alert?
Once you have signed in to the service you can set up the alerts by entering the trade mark number that you wish to be notified about and select the specific events.
trade marks can be monitored?
UK trade marks and International Registrations designating the UK.
Trade Marks Journal
are you no longer publishing details of trade marks that have been renewed and name and address changes
This information is included in the Internet Case Enquiry details. If you are interested in changes for specific trade marks you can sign up to our e-alert service.
- What forms are included in Phase
All remaining trade mark forms that were not included in the Phase 1 implementation.
there any new forms included in Phase 2?
There are four new forms: TM16P, TM21A, TM21B and TM24C.
I email the
PDF once complete?
No, as currently we will only accept paper forms printed and delivered by post or other conventional formats.
Trade mark renewal
I be able to renew if my details (e.g. owner/representative address) are not currently up to date?
You can still renew online although the Certificate of Renewal will show the owner’s name held on the register at the time of renewal. If you want the certificate to contain up to date and accurate information we recommend that you update your details before renewing by submitting paper form TM16 to record a change of ownership or TM21A for other changes to the owner’s details.